Thursday 26 March 2009

Pictures that I like (5)

Tây Ninh is a town in southwestern Vietnam, approximately 90 km to the northwest of Ho Chi Minh City and most famous for being the home of the Cao Dai religion, an indigenous Vietnamese faith that includes the teachings of the major world religions. The Cao Dai religion's Holy See church/temple, built between 1933 and 1955, is located around 5 km to the east of Tây Ninh's town centre and it was there that I took this photo, sometime in the 1990s. The little girl happened to be with her parents (and some relatives, I think) on the square in front of the church/temple. I had asked the parents for permission to take the photo and they in turn had encouraged their daughter to stand where I had wanted her to stand.

Copyright @ Hans Durrer

Why do I like this photo so much? Because it makes me feel like I am once again on this square in Tây Ninh - I remember it as one of these moments in which I felt fully in the present.

No comments: