Wednesday 4 February 2015

Trekking across the Australian Outback

I felt impressed, enchanted, moved, encouraged, and uplifted by this truly wonderful work.

It is one of these rare books that not only inspire but empower you. That's on the one hand to do with the stunning images (and the large book format clearly contributes to make them feel so powerful) and on the other hand with Robyn Davidson's personality. „I'd like to think an ordinary person is capable of anything“, she says. And, she not only says it, she lives up to it.

Robyn Davidson, born 1950, is an Australian writer, who, in 1977, trekked across the Australian outback with four camels and a dog. Her journey was made into a film. The book „Inside Tracks“ is divided into „The Original Trek“ and „The Movie“.

I vividly remember reading her account of this trip many years ago. And while I do not recall any particular details, I since then carry images of the Australian outback in my head that instill in me a longing for vast deserts and orange skies.

Well, from Rick Smolan's photographs I learn that the skies over the Australian outback are by no means orange (soil and rock formations often are).

For more, see www://www.fstopmagazine.com

No comments: